What documents do you need for selling your property?

Know How

When you want to sell your property, you need to communicate several documents to your notary so that he or she can prepare your deed. Below is a summary of which documents you usually have to provide:

1. The title deed
What people call the “title deed” is in reality a copy of the deed of sale which proves that you are the owner of the property.
The deed is registered by the land registry service.
If you have purchased your property, it’s the deed of sale.
If you have inherited it, it’s the deed of assent.
If you have been given it, it’s the deed of gift.
A simple certificate will not be sufficient.
If you cannot find the document, you can request a copy of it from the notary who received the deed at the time the property became yours.
If you no longer have the name of the notary, you can contact another notary who will order a copy of the deed from the land registry service. You will be charged 15 euros by the land registry service for this copy.

2. Rental situation
If the property is sold rented, the current tenancy agreement must be provided.
If the property has been rented, the buyer must be informed about the previous rental situation. Did the tenant leave voluntarily? Does he or she have a pre-emption right? Has he or she received notice to vacate from you? In the latter case, it will also be necessary to provide a copy of this notice to vacate.

3. Property surveys
You must contact a professional who will carry out the compulsory technical surveys that will need to be provided to your buyer for the pre-contract of sale.

These are:
– The asbestos report for all properties built before 1 July 1997,
– A declaration of exposure to lead for residential properties built before 1 January 1949,
– A termite report issued within the past 6 months for properties located in areas at risk,
– A risks and pollution statement issued within the past 6 months,
– A gas installation report for residential properties fitted with a gas installation,
– An electricity installation report for residential properties,
– An energy performance diagnosis for any type of property equipped with a heating system,
– A report on the presence of dry rot in certain areas presenting a risk (the Alpes-Maritimes department is not concerned for the moment).

4. Wastewater
If your property is not connected to the public sewage network, you must provide a certificate of inspection of the non-collective sanitation installation. This is a septic tank report which is drawn up by the municipal services and which must have been issued in the past 3 years. This survey report is mandatory and must be provided before signing the pre-contract of sale. Therefore it is recommended you ask the relevant service to inspect the septic tank as soon as the property is put on the market.
If your property is connected to the public sewage network, note that some municipalities have a requirement that an inspection is made of the conformity of the connection. This inspection is mandatory and must be provided before signing the pre-contract of sale.

5. The other technical information needed
– Has building work been carried out on the property? Did this work require an urban planning permit and/or permission from the general meeting of co-owners? Is this work covered by the ten-year and/or building defects warranty? Which building contractors carried out this work?
– Does the property have a swimming pool? If so, the buyer must be informed about the safety system aimed at preventing any risk of drowning.
– Is the property equipped with a system for collecting rainwater?
– Is the property on the site of a former industrial operation? A polluted former industrial site? Is it close to a source of pollution?
– Is the property fitted with a smoke detector?
– Does the property have a fireplace or stove? If this is the case, you will need to provide the most recent chimney or flue sweeping invoice.
– Do specific contracts apply to the property: rental of a gas tank, solar panels, advertising board contract, radio-telephone antenna?

6. Information relating to the co-owned property
If you sell a property that is part of a co-owned property, you will need to compile all the documents laid down in the “LOI ALUR”.
-The description of the co-ownership division-rules and all its amendments,
– The minutes of the general meetings of the past three years,
– The building’s maintenance log,
– The general technical survey of the building,
– The dated preliminary statement from the building management company indicating the expenses of the last two years, information about the total of the building work fund, amounts that will be payable to the co-owners’ association by the buyer, the overall situation of unpaid charges.
– The co-owned property summary sheet.

Personal advice?

Do you need personal advices when you are looking for a property? We love to help you out